The Bozeman Ice Tower
- I have approached Bridger Bowl for twelve of the towers to be taken down when Deer Park and Bridger are taken down. They need a few to reinforce the off loading zone of the new lift. Doug Wales seemed to be very optimistic, although nothing in writing.
- Met with Bozeman Amateur Hockey Association. They were most excited and support the plan. We reviewed possible locations, best site is north of Haynes Pavilion. Area is used by dog agility group - flexible to move to another site.
- One low angle wall for novices, and one "sick" route.
- Refrigeration not feasible at this point in the game. Too expensive and not needed.
- Shavings from Zamboni get "trowelled" onto structure. This is how the one I saw in Holland was constructed.
- Summer use is a climbing structure.
- 100' foot tall "Frozen Man" - visible from freeway. Need to take aesthetic value into design consideration.
- Side use as high angle rescue training for Fire Department and SAR.
- Gallatin Ice Foundation - overall ice users - figure skating, hockey, curling, ice sculpture. 501 c - 3 !!! http://sites.google.com/a/
- Ice tower would be world cup sanctioned. Season opener for ice world cup be in Bozeman each year.
- Ice climbing is a demonstration sport in 2014 Soichi, Russia Olympics.
- Target cost = 1 Million. (We could probably do it for 500 K, but why not go big?).
- Climbing community is good for 50 K. (Rough guess for fundraising.)
- The team at Spire is supportive of the project.
- The boulder building team is keen to segue into this project. We have four finished and number five paid for.
In terms of volunteers:
- Event planners
- Motivated People
Like climbing, this will be a team effort!
If you would like to help out please respond to this thread or send me a personal message.